Music Theory provides students with the skills needed to read and write music notation. It covers material such as pitches, scales, rhythm, phrases and harmony.
- Music Theory is all about the nuts and bolts of how music works.
- Which notes make up a chord and which chords sound good with each other.
- What all the dots and squiggles mean.
- How to read and how to write music.
- Music Theory is about understanding how it all fits together.
- It helps with your playing.
- It helps with writing songs or music of your own.
- It helps you get through the supporting tests in your practical music exams.
Here at AS Music School after Grade 2 is achieved on your instrument or voice, students need to take theory exams in order to progress to their next practical grades.
See the table for how it works:
|Practical Grade Achieved||Theory Grade needed before taking next Practical Grade|
|6||5 or GCSE|
|7 & 8||5 or GCSE